Scratch for Beginners: Treasure Hunt
Scratch for Beginners: Treasure Hunt
This course is currently not available to book. Click here to view all of our summer holiday classes!
Does your child love adventure? Want to channel their passion into a creative outlet?
Designed from the ground-up for young children, our BRAND NEW Scratch for Beginners: Treasure Hunt course is the ideal way to give your child an awesome foundation in game design and Scratch. Students should be prepared to dodge sharks and challenge their pirate rivals as the class goes on an adventure to find Captain Scratch's long-lost treasure chest!
With all new lessons and projects, one of our experienced teachers leads the class through a series of pirate themed challenges desgined to make kids savvy coders. Each student will write their own unique code to create games that they can play with friends and family, with each game having a wide array of customisation options and opportunities for each student to make it their own.
During the course we will use our award winning curriculum to cover a number of foundational topics, as well as looking at coding best practices and positive computing habits such as touch typing. Focusing on creativity and practical applications for code is a key part of the course - kids will come away having learnt something new, having created something unique, and having had fun!
- Day One: The teacher and the class introduce each other. Once acquainted, the class will begin on their search for their long lost treasure by creating their ship and meeting their crew.
- Day Two: In their second lesson, students learn about the fundamentals of game design by battling their rivals with their best cannons!
- Day Three: Now being well into their journey, on day three they will have to use their coding skills to dodge the sharks obstructing their path.
- Day Four: Students will hone their knowledge of coordinates to create their own treasure-map mini-game!
- Day Five: On the final day of the course, the class will create a pirate lair to protect their treasure. They're going to have to use all their coding tricks and pirate cunning to complete this challenge!
This course aims to cover beginner coding concepts and logic, and serves as a great introduction to game design and how coding is used within games. Despite this, students with absolutely no coding experience may find our Scratch for Beginners: Introduction to be a better foundational coding course. Students who complete our Treasure Hunt course will leave the week with key programming knowledge that they can use to progress onto our intermediate level Scratch courses.
We ask that - for at least the first session - an adult is available to help your child with their coding for the entirety of the lesson. In the following lessons an adult should be available at the start to help with any troubleshooting. You are also welcome to accompany your child for the remaining lessons too - we love parents and children learning together!
Using video conferencing software, our virtual classroom provides students with an innovative approach to coding that balances learning computational skills with nurturing students’ curiosity and sense of discovery.
With a maximum teacher:student ratio of 1:6, each of our online courses are the perfect opportunity to engage kids and grow their coding confidence. And once set-up within our virtual learning environment, every member of the class can share their screen and other materials with the teacher, creating a collaborative atmosphere and ensuring every student can receive immediate feedback on their work.