Explorers: Ages 6-8
Explorers: Ages 6-8
Summer of STEM
|Date & Times|
|Price||£455.00 £355.00 (Early Bird pricing is available until 1st July)|
|Location||Jane Cameron Building (JCB), Notting Hill Prep School, 95 Lancaster Road, W11 1QQ|
This camp introduces children to game design, engineering and robotics through a series of imaginative projects and challenges centred around LEGO WeDo, a kit designed especially for children to build robots and Scratch, a block-based programming language to create unique digital projects! Movie Magic week sees children becoming young cinematographers with blockbuster-themed animation and activities. Jurassic World week takes students on an exploration as they make awesome archaeological discoveries through arts and crafts, robotics and their own mini games on Scratch. Fantasy Quest is a journey through a fairy tale kingdom full of mermaids, elves, unicorns and wizards as students use their magic spells and digital skills to defeat the dragon!
During their week at camp students will:
- Learn how to build and programme their own LEGO robots (using various mechanisms such as worm gears, bevel gears and belts) to compete in races
- Use a range of sensors, including servo motors, tilt sensors and infrared-distance sensors
- Gain confidence on Scratch, using loops and keyboard events to create their own games and animations
- Improve their problem-solving skills through fun challenges and teamwork tasks
The course is punctuated with regular offline and off-screen outdoor breaks to ensure that young learners are able to focus and engage throughout the day and keep active.
Information for parents
Whether your child is completely new to coding and robotics, or has completed a BlueShift camp or course before, this course is perfect for them! Please note: we recommend that children are comfortable with reading, spelling and using a laptop before attending this camp.
First off we'll get to know our teacher and classmates through some great mini games. Once we're all friends, we'll be introduced to our activity for the day. Let's jump in to coding!
Now that we've had a healthy snack, we're ready to get right back into our activity. We'll carry on flexing our creative muscles by designing, coding and building our project.
After half an hour for lunch it's time for some offline, outdoor time. Students take part in activities ranging from inflatable obstacle course races to football tournaments, scavenger hunts to water games (fingers crossed for some sunny weather!).
Let's refocus after lunch and playtime by diving into building our robots!
It's time to finish off our project for the day and show it off to the rest of the class. Time has flown by - let's tidy up our work stations, pack up our things and get ready to go home!
My favourite part was racing our Lego robots!
Student, aged 7
How does it work?
- We have a maximum teacher:student ratio of 1:6 - this means that all students receive dedicated support, and top-quality, hands-on teaching
- Real-time communication with parents through our online platform means you can stay updated with what your child is up to
- Reports from teachers detail what your child has learnt, their strengths, and how they can improve
What to bring?
- A nut-free packed lunch and reusable water bottle
- A face mask to be worn when entering the building and in corridors
- Weather-appropriate clothing, so your child can enjoy outdoor play
- A laptop (with passwords and chargers) - if you don’t have this, you can borrow one from us before you checkout
- A readiness to have fun!
- BlueShift teaching staff are coding professionals, who are passionate about passing their expertise onto children - many have previously taught at prestigious schools
- Teachers undergo a rigorous application and training process, ensuring we get the best of the best
- All teachers are vetted by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
Campers should not be brought to camp if they are displaying signs of illness. In the case of a camper who has become ill during camp hours, parents will be notified immediately to pick their child up. If a child misses a day or multiple days of camp because of an illness, credit towards another camp can be arranged for when they're feeling better.
You can cancel your camp booking up to 14 days prior to the start date. If you want to cancel your camp booking less than 14 days before, you can receive 50% refund or full credit towards future courses when cancelling between 13-7 days before, or full credit when cancelling less than 7 days before. If we are unable to run our camps, you will receive credit or a full refund.
What are you doing at camps with respect to COVID-19?
At BlueShift, our top priority is always the safety and wellbeing of our students, parents and staff. That's why we have thought carefully about our upcoming camps and what we can do to ensure we keep our community safe. Please read our COVID-19 Camps Policy Overview FAQ for more information on how we are doing this.
Please be aware these policies will be shared with you in more detail closer to the beginning of camp.
What does my child need to bring to camp?
All we ask for them to bring is a packed lunch (not including nuts), a reusable water bottle and weather appropriate clothing for outside play.
With respect to COVID-19 we ask that parents provide their child with a mask to take with them for when they are entering and leaving camp. Masks are not required in classrooms.
Does my child need to bring a device?
Yes! Please bring a laptop from home which can access the internet and ensure that your child has the password to hand. Using a laptop from home means your child can save their own work! If you do not have a laptop, you can borrow one from us for free before checkout which will be ready to pick up at camp.
Can I use childcare vouchers to book this course?
Yes! Read our childcare voucher FAQ article for more information on how to pay using childcare vouchers.
Can I switch camp dates incase holiday plans change?
Yes! Read our CampShift policy for more information.
"Thank you BlueShift for doing such a great job. My son is so excited about coding and learning made fun."
"These courses are an amazing way to get kids interested in coding and robotics. Fun and educational"
"My son was very keen to advance in programming. Not only has this been achieved, but his self-esteem has been greatly raised through your work. Thank you!"
"The teachers have been excellent, full of enthusiasm and patience making the whole experience really fun"